India has a widespread of colleges and institutes that teach foreign language courses. Before we get to the list of the courses, I am going to go through some basic topics and questions you might have. For example, why should you learn a foreign language, what languages to learn in India, the list of institutes and their courses etc. And finally, we will see some useful tips to help you achieve the goal.
Why learn a foreign language?
Studies all around the world have suggested that being bilingual is a phenomenon that has multiple benefits attached to it. Before we get into the explanation of the advantages of learning a foreign language, we shall address a question that comes to the minds of most people; ‘what difference does it make?’ Learning a foreign language can be challenging, I understand. But, it is also a medium to challenge yourself. Here is how it can change your life in various ways.
- Easier and enjoyable travel
- Cultural knowledge
- Academic advantage
- Job Market
- Career opportunities
- Impeccable multitasking skills
- Helpful in Immigration and work permit
Are these advantages enough or need I list more?
Now you may ask me the following question.
“All of that is fine but which Foreign language do I learn?”
Simple. Choose the language that is going to be beneficial in the aspect of your career in India.
The foreign languages that have the most edge if you learn them in India are German, French, Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese and Arabic.
Now let’s get down to business.
The best Foreign language courses
1. Language Fluent
Language Fluent is an online platform where you can learn all five of the languages mentioned above in addition to Russian, Korean, English, and Italian. There are highly trained professionals to guide you through the learning process. You can learn any of these languages from scratch or from any level based on your prior knowledge of the particular language. The courses that are offered are
- Spanish: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2
- French: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2
- English: TOEFL, IELTS, Spoken
- Chinese: Level 1, Level 2, Level 3
- German: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2
- Japanese: N1, N2, N3, N4, N5
- Russian: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2
- Italian: A1+A2, A1+A2+B1+B2
- Korean: Level1 + level 2
2. Jawaharlal Nehru University
The school of language, literature and culture studies (SLLCS) has 12 centers for linguistic studies, namely for:
- Arabic and African Studies
- French and Francophone Studies
- Japanese Studies
- Persian and Central Asian Studies
- Chinese and South-East Asian Studies
- German Studies
- Korean Studies
- Russian Studies
- English Studies
- Indian Languages
- Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Latin America Studies
The SLLCS also offers certificates and advanced diplomas of proficiency programs in Foreign languages. These are Bahasa Indonesia, Mongolian, Portuguese and Pushtu and Urdu language.
3. Banaras Hindu University
- A: Chinese, Russian
- A: Chinese, Russian
- PhD: Chinese, Russian
- Diploma: Chinese, Russian, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Sinhalese and Polish.
4. University of Mumbai
The University of Mumbai offers great courses for three foreign languages: French, German and Chinese.
- A: French, German, Chinese
- A: French, German
- A (Hons): German
- Ph.D.: French, German
- Part-time courses: French
5. Delhi University
Delhi University has two established centers for foreign languages.
1. Department of Slavonic & Finno-Ugrian studies
- Certificate, Diploma and Advanced diploma: Russian, Croatian, Bulgarian, Czech, Hungarian, Polish
- M.A, MPhil, Phd: Russian Studies
2. Department of Germanic studies
- Certificate, Diploma and advanced diploma: Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian
6. MGM Institute of Indian and Foreign Languages
- A (Hons) English
- A English
- Certificate in German
- Certificate in French
7. New Delhi YMCA
- Certificate in General and Professional English
- Diploma: French, German, Spanish, Japanese and Chinese
8. Hansraj College (Delhi)
- A (Hons): Hindi, English
- A: English
- Certificate: French, German, Spanish
- Diploma: Spanish, French, German
- Advanced diploma: Spanish, French, German
9. Visva Bharati University
- A (Hons): English, Japanese, Chinese
- A: Chinese, Japanese, English
- Certificate: French, German
- Diploma: French, German
10. Parul University
Certificates programs are offered in:
- Functional English (part-time)
- French language (part-time)
- German language (part-time)
There are these several courses in the languages that are beneficial to learn in India. Right at the palm of your hand.
So, here’s the question that I always ask.
What are you waiting for?
Go learn these amazing languages and achieve greater heights.